Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day

Sometimes I think about how young my mom was by the time she had both my brother and I--just 25 years old--and can't imagine the level of responsibility she had at such a young age. It's hard for parents to raise kids as a parent team, let alone all by themselves. My mom always worked two jobs, seven days a week as we were growing up, and we are all the better for it. We're not distant from our mom the way some families seem to be these days. We're a tight-knit little family who are all still in eachother's business on a daily basis. :) 

From L to R: Me, my brother Adam, my mom Jody

Recently, my mom posted this status message on her Facebook page and I wanted to share it because, well, it made me tear up and it shows the sacrifices we all made together. The sacrifices were the rewards, though, because our little family has moved small mountains and we have the leader of our little pack to thank--our mom, Jody.

Facebook page post:

There were 2 small minority children raised by a single mom that worked 2 jobs 7 days a week. They had no paternal contact or monetary support--no grandfather, no uncles. Other children wore brand named clothing, they wore hand-made clothing. Other children ate school lunch, they ate lunch packed at home. Other children always played outside, they had to help with household chores. Other children went to the movies, they watched t.v. on blankets in the living room. Other children went out to eat, they never ate away from home. They never had help from outside resources. Other children got in trouble, they never did. Other children in the neighborhood had babies, they went to college. Both children married, and have amazing families. Both children are professionals. One finished his master's last week, the other 1/3 the way through. One is an incredible educator in Waverly, the other is part of the administrative staff at MESSA. Adam and Samara, I am so proud of you and you make being a mom a joy! Thanks so much for making every Mother's Day an honor!

It's a chilly day here in Lansing, MI, but I hope this post brings some Mother's Day warmth to all of your hearts. We are having a brunch in a little while for the mothers in our family. What are you and your families up to today? Whatever it is, I hope it is BEAUTIFUL!

Cheers,
Samara



No comments:

Post a Comment