Saturday, May 25, 2013

One Year Anniversary, Part I (Wedding Recap)


Just shy of three weeks ago, my husband and I celebrated our very first wedding anniversary. I can hardly believe a year has flown by since that blissful day in May 2012.

Because every bride loves talking about her wedding, here is a (somewhat) quick recap.

The Dress

I was a bit conflicted between my western and eastern roots when it came to what kind of wedding dress I was looking for. I just knew I did not want the typical American, white wedding dress.

I found the perfect dress that had western lines, but with a different color (a very light/champagne gold, which looked WAY better on me than any white ever would) and such intricate beading and detail that I felt was a nod to eastern fashion.


Also, there was a SICK tulle cut in the front that mocked feathers. It was the perfect Samara dress. (Flamboyant!) I paired it with a Pakistani-style necklace for a very subtle nod to my eastern roots.


The Ceremony Decor

I've always preferred clean, contemporary lines and decor. Simple sophistication and elegance. I came up with an idea to put  cream rose petals inside different leveled vases with candles on the top. Our decorators executed my vision to perfection.

What was special about our wedding location is it was the church we actually attend and belong to. So, there was meaning behind our location, which meant a great deal to us.


My Matron of Honor and bridesmaid held smaller versions of my bouquet--cream-colored roses bunched together and wrapped with ribbon....


...and they wore these gorgeous, olive-green Vera Wang gowns. I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful bridal party!


And my two cutie-pie nieces Audrey (L) and Ava (R) were our flower girls. My youngest niece Amelia was an honorary flower girl, but could not yet walk. :)


Our ceremony was simple and meaningful. Our pastor previously noted that to him, the most beautiful ceremonies were the simple ones. I concurred completely. So, we kept things simple, throwing in a few meaningful items to the ceremony. It was beautiful.

Mr. and Mrs. Morgan
After  the ceremony was overwith and our hugs and well wishes were received, our guests showered us with cream rose petals upon our leaving the church. The rose petals were held in these beautiful hand-constructed cones with beautiful ribbon ties. 


RUN!!! :)

At the end of the gathering of friends and family, our horse carriage awaited. 


If you're debating between a limo and a horse carriage ride, I would do everything to convince you to take a horse carriage ride. (Unless you have a very far distance to travel, of course.)

The horse carriage ride was magical. We rode through the city streets we love and felt the energy and excitement of the city. A Lugnuts game was letting out so there were people all over the streets waving, honking, wishing us well and taking pictures of us. The cutest well-wishers were the Girl Scouts.

It was euphoria on levels I'd never understood before this day.

Taking a last glance at family and friends before we clip-clopped away on the city streets.
Wanting something nobody else was doing, and something that had meaning, we hired a local, famed caricaturist, Dennis Preston. Dennis has drawn all the "somebodies" in Lansing, including many City Pulse covers. Since Thomas and I met through a former City Pulse reporter, having this particular caricaturist had a meaningful tie-in.

We met with Dennis at a local Biggby before the wedding to have these caricatures of ourselves drawn. We blew the drawing up to adorn our white, horse-drawn carriage. This adorable picture also was on every piece of paper that Dennis used to draw our guests on. (One of two wedding reception favors.)


After we left the church, our guests headed to cocktail hour outside by the Lansing Center. Hors d' oeuvres and drinks were served at the gathering area by the river as old crooners sang and created an old-timey atmosphere. 

On the capital steps. One of my favorite pictures.

After taking several couple and group shots at the capital, we headed down to Tavern On the Square. Two years before our wedding, Thomas and I met at this very table for the first time and shared a Guinness and conversation. Now we share our lives.

Again, I wanted everything about our day to have meaning, not just be "fluff and stuff". 


Reception

Our reception was held downtown at the Lansing Center. Thomas and I are both city people who met downtown through downtown events and political happenings. It was only right that we get married in the city and party in the city (i.e. have our reception) afterwards!

The people at the Lansing Center were so wonderful and accommodating to every one of my artistic, OCD, flamboyant-at-times and annoyingly perfectionist questions, needs and desires. Bravo, Lansing Center!


Reception Decor

I love decor. I love decorating. I love all things artistic. I had a vision for our reception room.  I took my vision to Events to Rent and Andrew and Scott executed everything perfectly! Scott found all of these tree branches and hand painted them gold. (Aren't they beautiful?!) 

Sidenote: Trees also have a very special meaning for me and my Thomas. When he was courting me, he sent me pictures of a tree outside of his office as its growth in the spring progressed. He noted that since our meeting, he noticed everything like buds growing on trees. (And much more mushy stuff that I'll spare you from. ) :) So, spring and trees will always have a special place/meaning for us.

The tables were adorned with beautiful, crinkle (for texture!), olive-green tablecloths, gold votive candleholders with cream candles, cream napkins and gold chargers. The gold chiavari chairs tied in perfectly with the trees and offered, what I felt to be, a more unique chair option. I just loved the table settings!! 


The hanging mirrors, which were Scott's idea, ended up being dubbed by Thomas and I as a subtle nod to my Pakistani roots. (I remember seeing Pakistani vests as a kid with little mirrors all over them...as well as much of the decor, little mirrored boxes and such.) 

When I peeked into the reception room before the guests were seated, I gasped at how beautiful the room looked. It's so amazing to pair your vision with decorators who know how to get your vision SPOT ON and to see the vision come to life. I like to call our wedding style "urban sophistication". ;-)

Apparently the Lansing Center and LEPFA (Lansing Entertainment and Public Facilities Authority) also found the decor beautiful as they are using pictures of our reception decor in their advertising material. 

Also hanging from the tree branches were these beautiful, cream-colored orchids. 


The menu cards were made by one of the fabulous artists on Etsy and were done to perfection with a slight, metallic/gold shimmer.

I was able to get a great deal at Hobby Lobby for the frames and had the same artist that did our menu cards do the table numbers.

The Cake

Our cake was simple, sophisticated and DELICIOUS. Opting again for simplicity and elegance, I wanted our cake to be monochromatic and to actually be GOOD TO EAT. (Sorry fondant-lovers, I just can't do fondant, even though it's pretty!) 


During our "first dances", we included one for my two eldest nieces. (A "Niece Dance") The DJ played Taylor Swift's "Mean" song. (My nieces' FAVORITE song at the time!) Love those girls. 


After first dances, speeches, delicious food, lots of laughter, dancing and cake cutting, Thomas and I were able to enjoy fireworks that just happened to be going off in TWO locations that evening. (And thank you to our chef who gave us a tip-off at our tasting that these fireworks may be happening that night!)

I considered the fireworks as God smiling down on our day.

I was so pleased and happy that everything turned out perfectly and I would not have changed ONE thing about that day. However, the most important thing was the feeling of happiness and closeness I felt on that day to Thomas and the love we felt from family and friends all day long.

Every day since our wedding has been happier than the previous one.

Thank you for indulging me on my little trip down memory lane.

Cheers,
Samara

1 comment: