Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Second Wedding Anniversary

Thomas and I recently celebrated our second wedding anniversary. We'd planned on staying in town this year and doing something low key. Thomas planned the evening (this was the weekend before our actual anniversary) and each stop that night was a surprise for me. 

It was our first evening away from our little guy together. Previously, I was away from him one night for a women's church conference and Thomas had been away one night for work. "Grandma No No" (my mom) was sweet enough to watch him. We reluctantly dropped him off at my mom's and headed to the first surprise stop--The Knight Cap.


The Knight Cap is one of my favorite restaurants in Lansing. The food is good, but the service and ambience are what make it really special. One unfortunate piece of news I have to report is that the legendary Mr. Ricque no longer works there. He really made a visit to the Knight Cap special. (You can read my totally non expert review of the Knight Cap--including a little about Mr. Ricque here.) 

I'm sure the recent college grads at the table next to us were internally rolling their eyes at this overaged hipster taking a picture of her plate of food, but I care not! I wanted to share how delicious my anniversary dinner plate looked with you all. 


After our delectable meal, Thomas and I headed home for a spell as we apparently had time between activity one and activity two. It was strange being home without the baby. I tried to not think about missing him and just enjoy the one-on-one time with Thomas. 


Speaking of overaged hipsters... 


Our next surprise stop was the movie theater. Thomas remembered my saying "Oh, I want to see that!" when the previews for "The Other Woman" came on. What a guy. Enduring a chick flick for his gal. Daw. 



We ended the evening with going to the place we met for the first time a little over four years ago--Tavern On the Square. We make sure to go there every year, right around the time we met (and now, right around our anniversary)to have a Guinness just as we did the first time we met. I didn't get a picture of our beers this year the way I usually do, so I'll share a few pictures that we took at TOTS on our wedding day. 



Thomas did manage to get an artsy shot of the scene, though. 


On our actual anniversary, we exchanged gifts. The second anniversary is the cotton year. We both, funnily enough, picked up robes for one another. 


Thomas totally wins the present award, though. My bumbling, absent-minded professor of a husband managed to pick up the most beautiful champagne colored, Turkish cotton Oscar de la Renta robe. This robe feels like flopping onto clouds and being served champagne. Yes, it is that pretty of a feeling. 

When the sun went down, we opened up the bottle of Shiraz we picked up in Rome while on our honeymoon. Our original plan was to drink it on our first wedding anniversary, but those plans were put on hold when we found out I was pregnant with Jackson. 

The wine was worth the wait.



We lit the chiminea on our deck and toasted to two years of friendship and love while sipping the most delicious glass...es....of wine. 


I drank to many more years of wedded bliss, discovery, teamwork, laughs and love. 

Cheers,
Samara

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That has got to be the most adorable post I've ever seen! I think what you do every year is absolutely romantic and it raises the bar on post-wedding-romance for some of your single-soon-to-be-married readers, I suppose. Hahaha! Cheers to both of you having many more years of love and fun!

    Matt Fisher @ Nomad Events

    ReplyDelete