Thursday, January 31, 2013

Indulge a little. Or a latte.

If you're anything like me, your days are a constant juggling act of what you have to accomplish, what you'd like to accomplish, and what you'd do if you had a moment to just relax. You may take on more than you should and regularly feel the results of doing so.

Far too often, I am a fast moving, list making, coffee drinking, "I will get everything on this list done!" (and usually don't, but shoot for the moon, right?) streak of a person. 


I am making an effort to slow down and set aside a few moments, here and there, to indulge in something that makes me happy and which may be totally frivolous.



With frivolity in mind, I picked this book up from Barnes & Noble last weekend:
It's important to note that: 

1. I am a sucker for all the books and other miscellaneous items that Barnes & Noble sells. To me, Barnes & Noble is the Target of the nerd world. 

2. I love, love, love the interior design/home project/fashion section of Barnes & Noble (I know, you're shocked.)

3. I once took a fashion course at LCC "just for fun" and the course book was the only textbook ever that I read a third of (while waiting to get new tires) before the first class even met. I just love fashion and fashion history. It's fascinating. 

So, I carved out a little time yesterday to start reading this book. I had two lattes, (and with zero guilt, either!) lit all the candles in the room and threw a luxurious, cream, Donna Karan blanket (fabulous wedding present!) over me and indulged completely.

As one of my favorite interior designers Martyn Lawrence Bullard would say, it was totally delicious.

In the spirit of indulging and taking a moment for myself, (and due to being in a period in my life where I have an insane amount of responsibility on my plate) I also did the following:

1. Passed on voluntary overtime at work yesterday.
2. Watched "Bunheads" (The best show you're probably missing. A verbal ping-pong, chocked full of pop culture topics put on by the same creator of "Gilmore Girls").
3. Took a looooong nap.

Giving yourself a little time each day may seem like a bit of a sacrifice, but it is SO fulfilling and the positive effects will spill over into every other aspect of your life.

Life really should be about the happy, little, frivolous things that bring the biggest joys. Sometimes, "to do" lists just have to wait. Don't worry Ms. Type A, those lists will be there waiting for you. Tomorrow. ;-)


Cheers,

Samara

No comments:

Post a Comment