Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Sad Goodbyes. Good Wine.

While my husband was away in Salt Lake City for work, I took the opportunity to spend some quality time with my mom. With both of our crazy busy lives, quality time usually means we are squeezing something else into our time together. This past Friday was no different.

Mom and I headed to downtown Lansing Friday night for a farewell party for our city attorney, Brigham Smith, who (as of Saturday) moved to Connecticut to be with his son. The party was being held in the upper level of Troppo's (recently moved to the "sunny side of the street" for you Lansing folks! :) ).
The upper level had sweeping city views, which those of you who know me know that I absolutely love. There exists little better than the sound of wine glasses clinking together in a beautiful room with city lights twinkling and the capitol lit up nearby. I. Love. The. City.

The number of attendees was rather light and the room had a feel that spoke to having missed a previous crowd of well wishers. Our city attorney was donned in a Troppo's chef coat. He joked that if you spend enough money, they give you the jacket. He embraced both my mother and I in long, meaningful hugs. It was the moment I received the hug (and later watched the other long embraces he shared with other guests) that I realized this move to Connecticut really was bittersweet for him.
I have no eloquent way to put it, so I'll just say it--Brigham was a cool attorney to have. A young, wisecracking, Harvard Law School grad who probably will never truly know what he added to this city and the inspiration he was to the "youngER professional crowd". ;-) I admired him for his intelligence, humor and accomplishments. 

Brigham was nice to my family when we started coming to city council meetings some years ago, he was kind to my husband and even nominated him to be a "Top Ten Over the Next Ten" recipient, and he was kind to my mother during her first year as a councilperson. For that, I am appreciative. His absence will truly be a loss felt for a time to come.Thank you, Brig, for leaving your footprint here in our little capital city. Please keep in touch and let us know when you visit. 

Onward to PSquared
After the sad farewell, my mom and I decided to to kick things up and head over to PSquared (wine bar). 
I'd been wanting to visit this place and just hadn't had the chance. Well, darlings, it was well worth the wait. 

PSquared's ambience was both urban and cozy. The walls were painted in rich, dark colors with one wild/fun focus wall towards the bar. The floors were made of dark wood and there was a mix of standard sized tables, cocktail tables, and cozy seating areas. I wish I knew the names of everything that was on my pairing platters (especially the cheese--to die for!), but suffice it to say the pairings with the wine that was suggested by our waiter were beyond amazing. And the cheese on my plate. Oh my word. I've never had cheese melt in my mouth the way this cheese did. I'm going to have to find out the name of the cheese and report back to you all at a later date! 
We also had an adorable waiter that told us a seemingly random story about some previous patrons (no names, of course). The story really had no punch or bottom line, but, if told for some quirky/artsy effect, had total impact. Way to go waiter, way to go. :)

And can we please talk about this wine that the waiter suggested? I was all ready to sip on some everyday delicious wine, when the waiter uttered the word "Sante". Sante? What is Sante? Now, some of you wine conessieurs out there may be laughing delightfully at my expense, but I'd never heard of it. This artsy girl was in love with just the name, so I decided to try it. To say this "Sante" was delicious is to do it no justice. (Read: I HIGHLY recommend you find a bottle to purchase! It's a pinot noir for you wine lovers.) It was so delicious that I snagged a bottle to take home. (And not terribly pricey either--$18 a bottle, sold at PSquared!) I'm saving it for a special occasion. Valentine's Day dinner at home? :)
Barely able to comprehend that I still had my mother out and about downtown, I suggested we go grab a cup of coffee at one of my favorite spots in Lansing--Tavern on the Square--for a pick-me-up before heading home.
My mom and I had coffee, conversation and even ran into a couple of friends. It was a wonderful night filled with quality time together, great conversation with friends and associates, and delicious food and wine. Here is my mom raising her coffee cup to that! 
I hope you all had a lovely weekend!! 

Cheers,
Samara




2 comments: