Saturday, April 12, 2014

Seven on Saturday

To punish myself (because it's a teensy more work) and reward you for being so patient as I failed to deliver my Five on Friday, I am making up my missed deadline with a special edition of Five on Friday. I bring you....

Seven on Saturday

So, Seven on Saturday is my own spinoff of Five on Friday for when I do not get my Five on Friday up in time for you all. I don't plan on this regularly happening, but in the event that it does, this will be the alternative. It's all about creative solutions, right? ;-) 
OK, enough chit chat, here we go!!!


1. Closet Dividers

What else would a little world traveler have in his closet but world traveler closet  dividers?

Due to a lack of time, I did enlist an Etsy artist for these guys. However, this is something you could easily make on your own and there are tons of tutorials online.


2. Spice Racks to Bookrack

 Jackson's nursery is small, so dragging another piece of furniture (bookcase) into the mix was not an enticing idea. I was thinking instead of finding little cubby holes to hang from the wall. However, when I saw these IKEA spice racks being used as book holders on one of my favorite blogger's site (and then happily found this idea all over the internet, thus giving me several ideas on paint,etc.) I knew this was perfect for a small nursery!

Now to find the time to sand, paint and hang them. Purchasing them is half the battle, right? Right?!? :)


3. House Calculator

So, as we save for a home, with the possibility of building a home, my husband found this amazing website that walks you through several elements of home building--materials, number of bathrooms, bedrooms, etc. After you've answered all of the website's questions, you get a calculation as to what the cost of building your home would be, based on the information you've provided. It's a bit addictive and totally fun.

Here's the link:



4. Fighting the Good Fight For Positivity

One of the things I decided to work on this Lent was being positive. Let me tell you, giving up the bread was way easier. (And I looooove bread!) 

I am very blessed and am reminded of that each and every day. Those trigger things and people always exist, though, and they serve as a test. You can be so happy in your own life and when you're forced to deal with people who are determined to be negative about everything, or who are selectively negative to you for whatever reason (maybe just because you're happy), it can wear on you. Their negative demeanor can be cancerous and serves no good purpose. 

What is not productive, I will work (even after Lent) on not giving my attention or energy. We all say this, but you really have to think about this to act on it. 


Don't let negative people rule your day. Good always outweighs bad, 
we just have to let it.

5. Easter Basket

So, if you know me "in real life" (and even if you don't, and are only judging me from my blog), you know I enjoy the fact that I'm a little different, a little artsy, and a little bit of a perfectionist. This of course carried over into the selection of my little guy's Easter basket. 

I didn't want anything commercial or super common. I wanted something classic and/or rustic. I scoured the net for a bit and was overjoyed when I found these beautiful rustic baskets on Etsy. 

Jackson's basket arrived today in the mail, all the way from Fairbanks, Alaska.


I know this basket will be totally impractical for him in a couple of years (at least for Easter egg hunts), but I'll enjoy this beautifully impractical basket for now. When he outgrows it, it won't go to waste, either, as this is a perfect basket to place in his semi-vintage world traveler room.


6.  Thomas' Birthday Week

We've had plenty reason to eat naughty this week;it's Thomas' birthday week!
Tomorrow we are having a family birthday brunch and giving him presents. I can't wait!


7. Mad Men

Whip up an Old Fashioned, break out your 60's gear and get ready for some witty repartee.  The final season of "Madmen" commences tomorrow, April 13th, and will be spread out over two years. 

I, for one, cannot adequately express my joy in the return of this show. Finally, the void that was left by the end of the latest season of "Downton Abbey" is filled. Thank you, Hollywood.


Enjoy the rest of your weekend, darlings!

Cheers,
Samara

No comments:

Post a Comment