Sunday, June 15, 2014

Happy Father's Day

What a difference a year makes. This time last year, I was thinking I couldn't hide our pregnancy secret from our families much longer. I was running out of baggy blouses and about to explode with excitement. Fast forward a year later, and I sit here looking at a sweet little boy, fast asleep, swinging in his swing with stuffed monkeys rotating above his angelic head. His dad is still asleep upstairs after 9 a.m. and deservedly so.


I didn't know my father growing up. It wasn't a situation where I never knew who he was or never saw him, but I saw him only on visitation night, weekly, until around age 7. And then, I never saw him again until I was nearly 18. The formative years were gone and the ability to casually say "my dad" and have it mean anything and nothing at the same time all gone. Having a dad at the time was something other people had, not me. It just seemed to be a foreign concept.And to be honest, it was something I only felt the loss of on occasion. At that time, I couldn't have told you when Father's Day was except "sometime in the summer".  My mom gave me so much foundation and love all on her own that I often forgot what  I didn't have. 

My mom later remarried (during my college years) and I was fortunate enough to have a stepdad who adopted me and by any measure or standard was considered my dad. He helped me navigate some of the rough terrains in my young adult life. He always lent a listening ear and was supportive and I will be forever grateful for that. I love you, Frank Washington. 


Back to my husband and why his sleeping in is so deserved. Having a father around, period, seems deserving of accolades these days. Having a father who is excited to be a father is deserving of a standing ovation. From the time we began even talking about the prospect of children, Thomas has been happy and supportive. Maybe this seems a relatively "everyday" thing to be grateful for, but sadly, so many don't get that from their significant other.  Jackson has been loved by his dad long before he ever made his entrance into the world. 


Thomas was by my side, and by Jackson's side, for every visit to the doctor during my pregnancy and for the entire hospital stay once I delivered. He has changed just as many diapers, (if not more), fed the baby just as much as I have, played with him, laughed with him and most importantly, loved our boy to death. I often hear the two of them on our deck having conversations. Thomas imparts his wisdom upon Jackson and Jackson happily babbles back. And, as I headed back to work, and was still in school, Thomas totally picked up the slack as an amazing father would do. 

They attend sporting events together...

...lounge around and watch soccer at home together..


....and love getting dressed up for church together.


Some of my favorite Jackson and Daddy items:

The made up bath time song by Thomas
The song Thomas sings to Jackson that is basically a remix of Arsenal's fight song
Jackson and Daddy naps 
When Thomas asks Jackson: "Are you a big guy? Bigguy.com? Yeah!"

They have had a special bond right from the beginning.


Jackson has so many wonderful years ahead of him with Thomas as his dad. They are the best of pals. 
My heart is full.

Happy Father's Day from our little family to all the dads out there. 

Cheers,
Samara


No comments:

Post a Comment