Friday, September 12, 2014

New Orleans

Many, many, MANY moons ago, I sojourned to New Orleans with a suitcase and a dream to get on "American Idol". Sadly, I did not make it. I was immediately cut and by the time I'd gotten through the audition process, I was deliriously tired. After I cried my only-been-asleep-for-about-forty-five-minutes-the-night-before eyes out over breakfast at a local restaurant, I was slightly consoled (and intrigued) by the restaurant patrons bellied up to the bar eating oysters.

After breakfast, I slept.

After I slept, I hung out on Bourbon Street where I slipped into a bar and happened upon a singer with a blue wig on and a whole lotta blues to sang. That is not a typo, she was SANGin', from the belly of her soul. I drowned my sorrows in every note she belted out. I skipped from live music bars to top 40 bars and as the magic of New Orleans melted into me, the sadness of the auditions began to slip away. 

The last bar I went into that night was The Funky Pirate where Big Al Carson was rocking the place. Not only could he sing his butt off, he was funny, entertaining and engaged the crowd in a way that made a roomful of strangers turn into an intimate Friday night jam session with newfound friends.



When I returned to New Orleans many years later, I realized I'd only seen a fraction of even the historical section of the city and I'd seen it through very sleep-deprived and soul-crushed eyes. I had more time to see the sights the second time around and when I really saw New Orleans, I fell in love with it. New Orleans is one of my favorite U.S. cities. This is why I was beyond excited to travel there this past spring with my husband. 

Here is our trip in pictures. (A small sample of them, anyway.) Enjoy!



Beautiful local art in the hotel rooms


Our view from dinner just a street or two away from Bourbon Street on the night of our arrival. Note the beads hanging from the wires.


The scene on the table in our hotel room the morning after the first night on Bourbon Street




Absolutely perfect lunch by the water


You cannot leave New Orleans without patronizing Cafe dĂș Monde. Often, musicians will be playing just outside the cafe. It is truly a divine experience.


Thomas and I joked that you couldn't get away with ditching your bill here. You would clearly leave a trail!


I always go on a tour via mule ride when in New Orleans. Each tour guide has something different and unique from the last tour guide to point out to you.


But first, let us take a selfie


I'd never been to any of the plantations in Louisiana and was determined to get out to the Oak Alley plantation this visit. I'd seen the plantation in brochures and of course, it is an awe-inspiring sight with the huge oak trees (all around 300 years old), but the history behind the plantation is what really drew me in.

We toured cabins that were recreated to look like the original slave cabins on the plantation and they all included historical displays inside.





On the walls of the recreated cabins were names of slaves drawn from inventory records.



Inside the plantation house


The front of the plantation house. The trees are so large that the house almost disappears. See it way down at the end of the line of trees?


We spent a few nights on Bourbon Street


Bourbon Street is more than just drinking and partying. The architecture and history of the buildings that line Bourbon Street and nearby streets are beautiful and fascinating. So much art, history, music and culture makes this city unique and full of color.


Even the outside of hotels have beautiful structures! 


And of course, you have to eat at Mother's. Wonderful hospitality, delicious food and a style all its own.




We were in New Orleans for my birthday. The tour guide from the mule ride recommended  Irene's, an Italian restaurant, and said it was one of his favorite restaurants. For my birthday, we decided to dine at Irene's!

Thomas checks out the menu


Inside the restaurant


Good wine menu advice


I don't even care that I took a picture of my food. Totally. Worth. It.


For dessert, the wait staff came out and sang me one of the heartiest renditions of "Happy Birthday" I ever remember and a complimentary piece of cheesecake with Grand Marnier sauce drizzled over it. Absolutely delectable.


No trip to New Orleans (or birthday in New Orleans) is complete without a haunted historical tour. Ours began here around dusk on my birthday.


Our tour guide


Lots of spooky stops and stories








Looking inside a haunted ballroom 






My birthday in New Orleans was spectacular. I should mention that it began the night before in a bar on top of a mechanical bull. You'd think with as many bachelorette parties as I'd been to, I would have rode one of these things before, but no--first time! 

Last day (morning) in New Orleans



Cheers to another great time in New Orleans!


The pictures here are just a fraction of the sights we saw and things we did. If you have not been to New Orleans, I highly recommend you add it to your bucket list! 

Cheers,
Samara

1 comment: