Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Ash Wednesday

While I've attended a non-denominational church here in my hometown for the last 15(ish) years (Jeez, time flies!), I was baptized and confirmed in the Catholic church. I also graduated from an all-girl Catholic boarding school where I was the church choir leader. 

A picture of Marian Heights Academy

I don't think you can get much more Catholic than that. So while I may not attend a Catholic church, I do participate in Lent. I can't lie, I haven't always participated in Lent and sometimes when I have, it's been a last-minute, hurried decision as to what I'd abstain from during this time. This year was different.

I actually gave some thought to what I'd give up. I wanted something physical to give up to really feel the sacrifice of the season, but also wanted to give up something that would improve my soul.

This year for Lent, I am giving up the following:

1. Bread

That ooey, gooey deliciousness that comes with or without cheese and fruit. Served cold or hot, sliced perfectly or in messy chunks, spread with margarine or eaten plain with a cup of tea or some other hot, delicious drink. My comfort in the middle of what is one of our worst winters ever. Goodbye for a time, friend. Parting is such sweet sorrow.


2. Negativity

This is something I'm sure we could all stand to work on year round. Too many beautiful and simple, yet thought-provoking quotes exist about abstaining from negativity, but here are a couple I really liked.

 


Taking a period of time and abstaining from something is an act we can all benefit from whatever your denomination, or even if you follow no religion. Working on bettering yourself as a person and sacrificing to relate to those who go without (and to be appreciative of the things you have) never hurts anyone.  In fact, it heals.

Cheers,
Samara

3 comments:

  1. Giving up bread is something that I have never thought of doing. It would be never hard...I will have to think about this for next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a staple! Especially during these (still) cold winter days!

      Samara

      Delete
    2. Giving up negativity is a good one! It's easy to let negative thoughts compound each other, too! I love this idea! My husband and I are eating a family dinner at the table without turning the TV on this year, but I might just have to add "thinkin positively" to my list!

      Delete