Friday, March 28, 2014

Five on Friday

Things have been a little crazy and I consequently took a brief hiatus. I am back, darlings. The timing couldn't be better, either, because it's FRIDAY and you what that means--yep, Five on Friday time! Since I missed a couple of weeks, I am going to catch you up on some of the good things that I have been loving over the last couple of weeks. 

1. Another Class Down


I finished my SEVENTH graduate school class a couple of weeks ago and am now down to five more classes, including the class I am nearing the halfway mark in. Every class completed is like a whack at the piƱata of school. I can't wait until the candy--graduation--comes spilling out in all its bright and delicious colors!

2. Back To Work


I returned to work last week and am fully back in the swing of things. I'd be a liar if I said I was sad about returning to work. I wasn't. I was sad to leave my little buddy, but I was not sad about being back to work. This is an important distinction. I'm a career woman, the daughter of a single mother who is a career woman. It's just in my DNA to be busy and on the move outside of the home. I might reflect on my experience of being a temporary SAHM (that's stay-at-home mom for you novices) sometime.

3. Jackson's Daycare


Our buddy is the first grandbaby on my mom's side who has had to attend a daycare. This part of returning to work was not easy for me--leaving my baby in the hands of strangers. Danger! Loss of control for this OCD mom! Ahhh! Not to worry, friends. We were able to secure a spot for our buddy at one of the best daycares in town. (Thank goodness for that little baby who decided to get walking early, which opened up a spot for us. Yeah!) 

We were impressed with the methodologies and passion of the daycare. Plus, too many amazing parents that we know have kids who have attended the daycare in the past or are currently attending the daycare. Jackson's pediatrician has heard a great deal about his daycare from her patients' parents. I've heard nothing but glowing remarks about his "school", so this helped alleviate all the initial fears I had. 

His teacher absolutely loves him and feels he is an old soul that loves to people watch. She can't believe how intently he studies people and listens to the music man who comes to the daycare once a week to play live music. I know I'm biased, but I think our little guy is her favorite. (Shh, don't tell any of the other parents!) Our buddy is clicking along with his routine and adjusting so well to his new daytime hangout. 

*NERD ALERT* I looooove getting his daily reports to see what interesting things he has done while at school with his friends. 


4. Spring AT LAST



Ata girl, Lansing. I knew you could do it!! Although the first official day of spring was March 20th, we all know it did NOT feel like anything close to spring. However, a look at the weather forecast shows good things lie ahead. After the winter we've had, we Michiganders are seriously DESPERATE for spring. 


5. First Training Session


I should have called this "Thank God I Made It Out Alive Session"! I didn't think my personal training session would be easy, but I didn't think it would nearly kill me. If it would have been more socially acceptable for me to cry and close my eyes like the girl in this picture during my session, I totally would have done it.

To start out, I was running on about four hours of sleep because I was anxious about my first day back to work. Additionally, because I was bopping all around at work that day, I didn't drink nearly enough water to sustain a proper hydration level during such an excruciating workout. 

We started out taking my measurements, getting my BMI and then headed right into the workouts. I always internally roll my eyes at those guys at the gym that make all those loud grunting noises. I think "if the weight makes you do all that, it must be too much for you". Well, I became that gym grunter! This woman is good, but at one point I thought "I cannot do this". My legs were shaking and after I finished, my legs were like noodles as I walked down the stairs. Four days after the workout, I could finally walk again.



Cheers,
Samara

No comments:

Post a Comment